Treasurer Role Description
Overall responsibility: to maintain an overview of Growing Together’s affairs with particular reference to its finances. To ensuring that proper financial records and procedures are maintained. To give direction to the other Board members and the senior staff in matters to do with finance.
Day to day financial decisions are currently made by the CEO, subject to previously agreed procedures and financial ceilings. However, final responsibility for financial matters always rests with the Board as a whole and as such financial decisions on strategic issues will always be made after discussion at Board meetings.
Specific duties of the treasurer
· Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements
· Being assured that the financial resources of Growing Together meet its present and future needs
· Ensuring that Growing Together has an appropriate reserves policy
· Supporting the paid staff in the preparation and presentation of financial reports to the Board
· Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
· Ensuring that appropriate banking arrangements are in place
· Advising on the financial implications of Growing Together’s strategic plans
· Ensuring that Growing Together has an appropriate investment policy
· Ensuring that there is no conflict between any investment held and the aims and objects of the Charity.
· Monitoring Growing Together’s investment activity and ensuring its consistency with the Growing Together policies and legal responsibilities
· Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, e.g. The charity commission and/or the registrar of companies
· Ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required (independent examination or audit) and any recommendations are implemented
· Keeping the Board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
· Contributing to the fundraising strategy of the organisation
· Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
Treasurer person specification
· Commitment to the work and ethos of Growing Together
· Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
· Strategic vision
· Good, independent judgement
· Ability to think creatively
· Willingness to speak their mind
· Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
· Financial qualifications and experience
· Some experience of or a willingness to learn about, charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes
· The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
· Support the CEO on financial management as needed.
General responsibilities of all Trustees
· To ensure that Growing Together complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
· To ensure that Growing Together pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
· To ensure Growing Together applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects (the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are).
· To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees' role in giving firm strategic direction to Growing Together, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
· To safeguard the good name and values of Growing Together.
· To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the Growing Together.
· To ensure the financial stability of the Growing Together.
· To protect and manage the property of Growing Together and to ensure the proper investment of the charity's funds.
THIS IS A VOLUNTARY POSITION – FOR WHICH NO PAYMENT APART FROM OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES CAN BE PAID
No additional details recorded for this opportunity.
When can I volunteer?
Blackthorn Bridge Court