Before you become a Volunteer Working Member, they recommend you become a member of the Northampton & Lamport Railway Charitable Incorporated Organisation (NLRCIO). This provides you with the many benefits of membership.
There are many different opportunities to volunteer with the Northampton and Lamport Railway.
- Loco and rolling stock restoration and maintenance (steam, diesel, carriages, wagons)
- On-train staff (Guard, Ticket Inspector)
- Permanent Way & Civil Engineering - Maintenance of the track, line side equipment and structures
- Lineside and planting - Keeping the railway looking smart—planting flowers, clearing vegetation, etc.
- Signal & Telegraph - Systems installation, restoration & maintenance of the signals, telephones, networks and signal boxes.
- Operation of signal boxes during services
- Infrastructure - Carpenters, joiners, plumbers, civil engineering, electricians
- Booking Office - Ticket sales and platform duties Catering Department - Platform
Buffet, on-train catering and Souvenir shop.
There are working parties on site every weekend throughout the year. The Railway is open to the public on Sundays (plus special events) generally between April and December. Why not join, make new friends, learn new skills and help preserve and restore part of our local transport heritage.
No experience needed. There are roles to suit your interests and abilities, you may have skills we don't yet know we need!
Give us a call for an informal chat if you prefer.
- Age restrictions
Over 16. If you are under 16, you will have to be supervised by an older volunteer or parent/guardian to comply with the Health and Safety at Work Act.
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
Training offered for various different roles
- Volunteer induction
Railway familiarisation Safety on the railway
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
As mentioned the railway generally operates on Sundays, Speical Event Days and Bank Holidays but there are also some working parties during the week, for those that are available. Volunteers can choose how much or little time they would like to give as they are flexible to accommodate everyones availability.
Pitsford and Brampton Station
More Opportunities from Northampton and Lamport Railway
English Regional Transport Association (ERTA)
Dementia Cafe -Daventry & District (Dem Cafe)
South Court Environmental